You can Board the Glacier Discovery Train from Anchorage, Girdwood, Whittier, or Portage.
9:45 AM – Glacier Discovery Train Departs Anchorage
11:00 AM Train Departs Girdwood (Chugach Adventures’ Guide Greeter Boards Train & will answer any questions you have)
12:15 PM Train Arrives Whittier
12:45 PM Train Departs Whittier
1:15 PM Train Arrives Portage
1:25 PM Train Departs Portage
1:45 PM Train Arrives Spencer Whistlestop
2- 4:45 PM Spencer Glacier Lake Tour – 2 Hours on the Water.
5-6 PM Set-Up Camp
6:30 PM Dinner
7-8:00 PM Evening Midnight Sun Glacier Exploration, Campfire.
8-9 AM Coffee & Breakfast
9 – 1 PM Kayak, and Hiking Options for Guests depending on group and guest desires & ambitions.
12 – 1 PM Lunch
2 – 5 PM Placer River Rafting Float Trip- 7 Mile River Float Down the Placer River
5:15 PM Return to Portage Station via Glacier Discovery Train.
- Please note that this trip has a 4 person minimum
- This is a Perfect Overnight Adventure for ALL AGES.
- We will tailor the adventure to your ambition & desires.
- Dinner is provided on Day 1, Breakfast & Lunch on Day 2.
- We provide rubber boots, rain poncho (If it is a rainy day), & Personal Flotation Device (life vest) for the Rafting Tour. Splash Tops for Kayaking.
- Sleeping bags, camp pillow, sleeping pads, and tents provided.
- Bring warm clothes & layers, extra socks, a hat & gloves. These are more important in August & September, but nice to have in June & July with AK’s unpredictable weather. Please let us know if you need additional clothing.
- Don’t forget your camera, we can’t guarantee that they won’t get wet, but you should get great photos.
- We require all guests to sign a release of liability on our tours.
- Placer River Float is a Class I to II (With High Water), mellow braided river, no big rapids. Most guests will not get splashed with water. If you are concerned about getting splashed you can request a spot in the raft that is NOT “splashy” when speaking to your guide.
- Spencer Glacier Lake is a cold water lake with water temperatures 34-40 degrees F.
Cancellation Policy for Custom, Multi Day, or Package Reservations:
Cancellations of package or custom reservations (or any components within a package) that are made 36 days or more prior to travel are 90% refundable (there is a 10% non-commissionable cancellation fee). Any charges incurred by Chugach Adventures as a result of cancellation will be applied to the reservations in addition to the 10% fee. Cancellations of custom or package reservations that are made 35 days or less prior to travel are non-refundable. Chugach Adventures does not issue refunds for unused services.
Travel Insurance: We strongly recommend that you purchase trip cancellation insurance so you can plan your travel with complete peace of mind. We recommend Travel Guard (travelguard.com)
AK RAILROAD Cancellation Policy & Change Fee Information: All paid bookings are subject to a 10% change fee for the Railroad portion of the trip cost, if a date change is requested within 30 days.
Gratuity / Tip
Our guides are expected to go above and beyond for this trip and greatly appreciate any & all gratuities.