Minimum of 4 required to book this trip.
RIDE BOTH the Glacier Discovery Train & Coastal Classic Train:
This trip is available departing from Anchorage or Girdwood on the Alaska Railroad’s Coastal Classic Train.
This tour utilizes two Alaska Railroad trains: The Glacier Discovery Train & Coastal Classic Train. Ride the Coastal Classic in the morning to the Spencer Glacier Whistle Stop, and return via the Glacier Discovery Train in the afternoon.
Spencer Double Iceberg Kayak + Raft Tour Itinerary:
6:45 AM – Coastal Classic departs Anchorage
8:05 AM – Coastal Classic departs Girdwood (Chugach Adventures’ guide will board the train here in Girdwood)
9 AM – Arrive at Spencer Glacier Whistle Stop
9:30 AM – 1:30 PM – KAYAK Tour on Spencer Glacier Lake
2 – 5 PM – RAFTING – 7 Mile River Float Down the Placer River
5:15 PM – Arrive in Portage and board the motorcoach back to Anchorage or Chugach Adventures’ van Shuttle to Girdwood
5:45 PM – Arrival at Girdwood
6:45 PM – Arrival in Anchorage
- A catered sack lunch is provided (sandwich, fruit, dessert & bottled water). Veggie or other dietary requests are welcome, please notify us beforehand.
- We provide splash tops, spray skirts and personal flotation device (life vest) for all kayak tours. Life vests & rain ponchos are provided for all raft trips.
- Bring warm clothes & layers, warm socks to wear.
- Most guests bring their cameras, we can’t guarantee that they won’t get wet, but you should get amazing photos.
- We require all guests to sign a release of liability for all tours.
- Spencer Lake Distances: 2 miles one way from the boat launch to Spencer Glacier. It takes anywhere between 20 Minutes (With Calm Perfect weather) to 1 hour to paddle across the lake.
- Spencer Lake & Placer River Float: The Placer River Float starting from Spencer Lake to our river takeout at Luebner Lake is approximately 7 river miles.
- Young Children–Minimum age for Kayak Tours is 8 years old. All children will participate in tandem kayaks with a parent or the most experienced paddler in your group. Groups with children under 8 could join the tour by utilizing a raft instead of kayaks for the morning lake tour. Please reach out directly if you have young children in your group.
- The maximum weight for kayaks is 240 lbs. The maximum height is 6’3″. We can provide a raft lake tour for guests that don’t meet weight & height restrictions and provide a similar tour via raft.
- There are restrooms on the train and at the Spencer Whistle Stop. There are no restrooms once we are on the river, backcountry options only
Weight & Size Considerations for KAYAKS:
Approximate maximum weight is 240 lbs.
Approximate maximum height is 6’3”.
Ultimately it is up to the guide’s discretion and comfort level of the guest if our kayaks will work for a kayak trip. Guests with large foot sizes and guests that don’t like to sit for up to 1-hour in a touring (sit-inside) kayak may also have difficulty fitting and/or being comfortable in kayaks. Thankfully, we can provide the same lake tour in a Raft for guests that don’t meet height/weight limits and/or don’t feel comfortable in kayaks. Please let us know ASAP if you think you may opt for a Raft instead of a Kayak for this trip. If you are close to the maximum size considerations, please be advised that we can not guarantee that a kayak trip will work until in the field, and any guide decisions are ultimately made with your safety being the utmost priority.
Weather and Trip Adjustments
Water levels, wind, and other natural factors beyond our control may cause us to alter your trip. We do not operate kayaks or canoes on whitecap days on the lake for your safety and enjoyment. In this situation (which is very rare in the mornings) we would offer an extended raft tour. We have other options with hiking, rafting, and a shortened kayak tour to provide a safe and enjoyable tour alternative under inclement weather. It is up to the guide’s discretion and safety experience to determine what is the most appropriate decision for the day based on weather.
Cancellation Policy for Day Tour Bookings:
Cancellations made 10 days or more in advance are 90% refundable.
Cancellations within 10 days are nonrefundable.
AK RAILROAD Cancellation Policy & Change Fee Information: All paid bookings are subject to a 10% change fee for the Railroad portion of the trip cost, if a date change is requested within 30 days.
Gratuity / Tip: Our guides are expected to go above and beyond for this trip and greatly appreciate any & all gratuities.