Approximate Tour Itinerary for your Heli Glacier Trek and Kayak:
Total Time Kayaking & Glacier Trekking is determined the day of by your ambition, the weather, and your guide’s recommendations:
- 8:00 AM – Girdwood Arrival
- 8:45 AM – Alpine Air Helicopter Departure from the Girdwood Airport for your Heli Glacier Trek and Kayak Adventure
- 9:10 AM – Landing at Spencer Lake (Dependent on your groups custom hiking desire & time of year)
- 9:15 – 10:30 AM / 12:15 PM Heli Hike to Spencer Lake (1.5 to 3 + Miles Hike to your kayaks).
- 11:00-12:00 PM Glacier Blue Kayak around Icebergs at Spencer Lake and up close to the Glacier Terminus Face
- 12:30-3:30 Glacier Trek onto Spencer Glacier.
- 3:30- 4:30 Return By Kayaks Across Spencer Lake to our basecamp
- 4:45 PM Board the AK Railroad Glacier Discovery Train to Portage Station
- 5:05 PM De-board Train at Portage Station for CA Shuttle to Girdwood Accommodations
- 5:30 PM Return Arrival to Girdwood
- A minimum of 2 guests needed to book this Heli Glacier Trek tour.
- A 25-minute scenic flight of the surrounding Chugach Mountains to Spencer Glacier.
- Additional Scenic Flight Time available for an additional cost. Please let us know if you’d like a longer scenic helicopter ride or helicopter glacier landing.
- Catered lunch, drinks, and snacks provided. Please let us know ahead of time of any dietary restrictions, vegetarian, gluten-free options.
- The maximum weight for kayaks is 240 lbs. The maximum height is 6’5″. We can provide a raft lake tour for guests that don’t meet weight & height restrictions and provide a similar tour via raft.
- Rain ponchos, kayak splash tops, personal flotation devices/life jackets provided for the kayaking portion of the tour. We have a base camp at Spencer Lake with this equipment and will get you outfitted when we arrive.
- Crampons, Helmets & Other Glacier Gear provided for Glacier Trek.
What to Bring:
- Hiking Boots or a good pair of sneakers that you can hike with. Good Footwear with a Good Sole is best for a work with contact strap-on BD Crampons.
- Please let us know if you have a very large or small foot size so that we can accommodate the necessary glacier trekking gear.
- Warm clothes (wear synthetic layers)
- Rain Jacket
- Warm hat
- Please let us know what you have and what you will need to get fully outfitted and prepared for the trip.
- Trekking Poles (provided if needed)
Cancellation Policy for Day Tour Bookings:
Cancellations made 10 days or more in advance are 95% refundable (there is a 5% non-commissionable cancellation fee that covers credit card processing fees and other charges). Any cancellations made between 3 to 9 days in advance will receive a 50% refund. For cancellations within 48 hours, no refund will be given.
AK RAILROAD Cancellation Policy & Change Fee Information: All paid bookings are subject to a 10% change fee for the Railroad portion of the trip cost if a date change is requested within 30 days.
Gratuity / Tip: Our guides are expected to go above and beyond for this trip and greatly appreciate any & all gratuities.