Heli Hiking & Rafting Itinerary:
- 8:00 AM – Girdwood Arrival Time (If needing transportation from Anchorage, the cost is an additional $125 per person).
- 8:40 AM – Alpine Air Helicopter Departure.
- 9:10 AM Comet Glacier Landing into Spencer Bench Alpine (Dependent on Time of Year)
- Helicopter Landing Zone dependent on Weather and Snow Pack Conditions
- 9:15 – 1:30 PM Comet Heli Hiking to Spencer Lake (6+ Miles Mostly Downhill Hike).
- 3 Mile Alpine Hike Thru Snow (In June/July), Alpine Lakes & Creeks, No Trails.
- 3 Mile Hike Down US Forest Service Spencer Bench Cabin Trail
- For a Shorter Hike, we can land closer to the Spencer Bench trail and Spencer Glacier Overlook.
- Please let us know your hiking experience to determine if you are ready.
- There is no easier way to get from the Chugach Alpine down to Spencer Lake, than by utilizing this spectacular trail
- The Spencer Bench trail was completed in 2011.
- Catered Lunch & Hot Drinks are provided along the hike.
- 2:00-4:30 PM Explore the Icebergs on Spencer Lake and Raft up to the Spencer Glacier Terminus Face.
- 4:45 PM Board the AK Railroad Glacier Discovery Train to Portage Station
- 5:15 PM De-board Train at Portage Station for CA Shuttle to Girdwood
- 5:45 PM Return Arrival to Girdwood
Additional Details (Heli Hiking and Rafting Trip):
- Minimum of 2 Guests per booking party.
- This trip is Guaranteed PRIVATE per booking party for the Helicopter and Hiking Portion of the Tour.
- The Rafting portion of this tour may be a shared experience if fewer than 3 guests book this trip.
- We keep the Rafting portion of the tour Private for Groups with more than 4 Guests.
- A 20-minute unforgettable scenic flight of the surrounding Chugach Mountains to Comet Glacier.
- Additional Scenic Flight Time is available for an additional cost. Please let us know if you’d like a longer scenic helicopter ride.
- Catered sack lunch, drinks, and snacks are provided. Please let us know ahead of time of any dietary restrictions (vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free options are available)
- Rain ponchos, rubber boots, and personal flotation devices/life jackets are provided for the rafting portion of the tour. We have a base camp at Spencer Lake with this equipment.
- Placer River is a Class I & II (With High Water) braided river, with no big rapids. Most guests will not get splashed with water. If you are concerned about getting splashed you can request a spot in the raft that is NOT “splashy” when speaking to your guide. This trip is suitable for ages 12 & up.
What to Bring:
- Hiking Boots with good tread.
- Warm clothes (synthetic or layers)
- Rain Jacket
- Warm hat
- Please let us know what you have and what you will need to get fully outfitted and prepared for the trip.
- Trekking Poles and Snowshoes (provided if needed)
Alpine Air Helicopter Charter Weight Policy Information: The max weight limit for a helicopter seat is 290 lbs. If a guest does not meet this weight seat limit and the Helicopter company is unable to fly, the Helicopter charter cost for the trip will still be incurred by the guest. If an R66 Helicopter is utilized for a guest or guests in which the total guest weight + a guide is unable to stay below 600 lbs (total maximum weight limit for an R44), there will also be an additional charge of $200 for the party to cover the cost of the more expensive R66 Helicopter Charter.
Cancellation Policy for Day Tour Bookings:
Cancellations made 10 days or more in advance are 90% refundable.
Cancellations within 10 days are nonrefundable.
AK RAILROAD Cancellation Policy & Change Fee Information: All paid bookings are subject to a 10% change fee for the Railroad portion of the trip cost if a date change is requested within 30 days.
Gratuity / Tip
Our guides are expected to go above and beyond for this trip and greatly appreciate any & all gratuities.