- 8:00 AM – Girdwood Arrival Time (If needing transporting from Anchorage, the cost is an additional $80 per person).
- 8:45 AM – Alpine Air Helicopter Departure.
- 9:10 AM Comet Glacier Landing into Spencer Bench Alpine (Dependent on Time of Year)
- Helicopter Landing Zone dependent on Weather and Snow Pack Conditions
- 9:15 – 1:30 PM Comet Hike to Spencer Lake (6 + Miles Mostly Downhill Hike).
- 3 Mile Alpine Hike Thru Snow, Alpine Lakes & Creeks, No Trails.
- 3 Mile Hike Down US Forest Service Spencer Bench Cabin Trail
- For a Shorter Hike, we can land closer to the Spencer Bench trail and Spencer Glacier Overlook. Your flight will view comet glacier, however, you would not land next to it.
- Please let us know your hiking experience to determine if you are ready.
- There is no easier way to get from the Chugach Alpine thru the impenetrable alders to Spencer Lake, than by utilizing an awesome trail
- Trail was completed in 2011.
- Catered Lunch & Hot Drinks provided along the hike.
- 2:00-4:30 PM Explore the Icebergs on Spencer Lake and Raft 7 River Miles Down the Placer River Valley.
- 4:45 PM Board the AK Railroad Glacier Discovery Train to Portage Station
- 5:05 PM De-board Train at Portage Station for CA Shuttle to Girdwood Accommodations
- 5:30 PM Return Arrival to Girdwood
- Minimum of 2 Guests per booking party.
- 20 minute unforgettable scenic flight of the surrounding Chugach Mountains to Comet Glacier.
- Additional Scenic Flight Time available for additional cost. Please let us know if you’d like a longer scenic helicopter ride or glacier landing.
- Catered lunch, drinks and snacks provided. Please let us know ahead of time of any dietary restrictions, vegetarian, gluten-free options.
- Rain ponchos, rubber boots, personal flotation devices / life jackets provided for the rafting portion of the tour. We have a base camp at Spencer Lake with this equipment.
- Placer River is a Class I & II (With High Water) braided river, no big rapids. Most guests will not get splashed with water. If you are concerned about getting splashed you can request a spot in the raft that is NOT “splashy” when speaking to your guide. This trip is suitable for ages 12 & up.
What to Bring:
- Hiking Boots.
- Warm clothes (wear synthetic layers)
- Rain Jacket
- Warm hat
- Please let us know what you have and what you will need to get fully outfitted and prepared for the trip.
- Trekking Poles and Snowshoes Provided if Needed.
Chugach Adventures’ Cancellation Policy:
Any cancellation made up to 7 days in advance will receive a 50% refund. For cancellations within 48 hours, NO refund will be given. Cancellations made 8 days or more in advance will receive a full refund minus a 5% transaction fee.
AK RAILROAD Cancellation Policy & Change Fee Information: All paid bookings are subject to a 10% change fee for the Railroad portion of the trip cost, if a date change is requested within 30 days.