Helicopter Glacier Kayak & Grandview Itinerary:
- 8:00 AM – Girdwood Arrival Time (If needing transportation from Anchorage, the cost is an additional $125 per person).
- 8:45 AM – Alpine Air Helicopter Departure.
- 9:10 AM – Heli Landing next to Spencer Glacier
- 9:15 – 10:30 AM – Short Hike at Spencer Glacier Morraine (.5 Miles) and back 2 Miles back to our kayak basecamp
- 11:00 – 12:30 PM – Iceberg Kayak on Spencer Glacier Lake; 2 to 4 Mile Kayak Paddle.
- 1:00 PM – 1:30 PM – Lunch
- 2:00-5 PM – Scenic Train Ride to Grandview thru the Upper Placer River Gorge Canyon- The Most Scenic Section of the AK Railroad
- 5:15 PM De-board Train at Portage Station for the shuttle back to Girdwood
- 5:45 PM Return Arrival to Girdwood
- 6:45 PM Return Arrival to Anchorage for Anchorage Guests.
- Minimum of 2 Guests per booking party for this Helicopter Glacier Kayak Adventure.
- A 20-minute unforgettable scenic flight of the surrounding Chugach Mountains to Spencer Glacier.
- Catered sack lunch, drinks, and snacks provided. Please let us know ahead of time of any dietary restrictions (vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free options are available)
- We provide splash tops, spray skirts & Personal Flotation Device (life vest) for all iceberg kayak tours. We have a basecamp at Spencer Lake with this equipment.
- Bring warm clothes & layers, warm socks to wear.
- Most guests bring their cameras, we can’t guarantee that they won’t get wet, but you should get amazing photos.
- We require all guests to sign a release of liability on the rafting/canoe/kayak tours.
- Spencer Lake Distances: The paddle across the lake is approximately 2 miles one way. It takes anywhere between 20 Minutes (With Calm Perfect weather) to 1 hour to paddle across the lake.
- Young Children–Minimum age for Kayak Tours is 8 years old. All children will participate in tandem kayaks with a parent or the most experienced paddler in your group. Groups with children under 8 could join the tour by utilizing a raft instead of kayaks. Please reach out directly if you have young children in your group.
- The maximum weight for kayaks is 240 lbs. The maximum height is 6’3″. We can provide a raft lake tour for guests that don’t meet weight & height restrictions and provide a similar tour via raft.
- There are restrooms on the train and at the Spencer Whistle Stop. There are no restrooms once we are on the river, backcountry options only
Weight & Size Considerations for KAYAKS:
The approximate maximum weight is 240 lbs.
The approximate maximum height is 6’3”.
Ultimately it is up to the guide’s discretion and comfort level of the guest if our kayaks will work for a kayak trip. Guests with large foot sizes and guests that don’t like to sit for up to 1-hour in a touring (sit-inside) kayak may also have difficulty fitting and/or being comfortable in kayaks. Thankfully, we can provide the same lake tour in a Raft for guests that don’t meet height/weight limits and/or don’t feel comfortable in kayaks. Please let us know ASAP if you think you may opt for a Raft instead of a Kayak for this trip. If you are close to the maximum size considerations, please be advised that we can not guarantee that a kayak trip will work until in the field, and any guide decisions are ultimately made with your safety being the utmost priority.
For guests that do not meet Weight or Height Restrictions, we recommend our Comet Heli Hiking & Rafting Trip.
Alpine Air Helicopter Charter Weight Policy Information: The max weight limit for a helicopter seat is 290 lbs. If a guest does not meet this weight seat limit and the Helicopter company is unable to fly, the Helicopter charter cost for the trip will still be incurred by the guest. If an R66 Helicopter is utilized for a guest or guests in which the total guest weight + a guide is unable to stay below 600 lbs (total maximum weight limit for an R44), there will also be an additional charge of $200 for the party to cover the cost of the more expensive R66 Helicopter Charter.
Weather and Trip Adjustments for the Helicopter Glacier Kayak Trip:
Water levels, wind, and other natural factors beyond our control may cause us to alter your trip. We do not operate kayaks or canoes on whitecap days on the lake for your safety and enjoyment. We have other options with hiking, rafting, and a shortened kayak tour to provide a safe and enjoyable tour alternative under inclement weather. It is up to the guide’s discretion and safety experience to determine what is the most appropriate decision for the day based on any inclement weather.
Cancellation Policy for Day Tour Bookings:
Cancellations made 10 days or more in advance are 90% refundable.
Cancellations within 10 days are nonrefundable.
AK RAILROAD Cancellation Policy & Change Fee Information: All paid bookings are subject to a 10% change fee for the Railroad portion of the trip cost, if a date change is requested within 30 days.
Gratuity / Tip
Our guides are expected to go above and beyond for this trip and greatly appreciate any & all gratuities.