Helicopter Glacier Blue Kayak & Grandview
Our most exclusive and action-packed Helicopter glacier KAYAK trip! This trip is Private per booking party. The adventure includes an awesome 20-minute scenic flight of the glaciated Chugach and Kenai Mountains, a 2.5 Mile scenic hike, a 2-4 Mile iceberg kayak paddle, and a scenic train ride to Grandview- the most scenic tunnels section of the AK Railroad. This trip is available 7 days per week (with space available) so for those parties looking to join on a black-out date for our Glacier Blue Kayak Trip (Thursdays & Fridays) then we recommend this trip.
I have guided multiple kayak, raft and hiking tours throughout Alaska in the past 14 years. The Heli Glacier Blue Kayak trip is hands down a culmination of the best parts of all those trips combined. The trip starts with a mind-blowing scenic flight from Girdwood, over Turnagain Arm, up Placer Valley and finishing with a landing in front of the majestic Spencer Glacier. Hiking around Spencer Glacier’s moraine lends itself to some of the most photogenic opportunities possible in Alaska with its giant towering blue ice walls and dramatic cracks and contours found in the glacial ice. After exploring the moraine, it’s a casual 1.5 mile hike on the lake to where we launch off on our kayak adventure. Paddling through the iceberg “ice maze” and up to the face of Spencer Glacier is another once in a lifetime experience with amazing photo ops!
Corey Anderson- Chugach Adventures’ Lead Kayak Guide Since 2011.
Helicopter Glacier Kayak & Grandview Itinerary:
- 8:00 AM - Girdwood Arrival Time (If you need transportation from Anchorage, the cost is an additional $125 per person- please email us to let us know).
- 8:40 AM - Alpine Air Helicopter Departure
- 9:10 AM - Heli Landing next to Spencer Glacier
- 9:15 - 11:00 AM - Short Hike next to Spencer Glacier (.5 Miles) and back 2 Miles back to our kayak basecamp
- 11:30 - 1:00 PM - Iceberg Kayak on Spencer Glacier Lake (2 to 4 Mile Kayak Paddle)
- 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM - Lunch
- 2:00-5 PM - Scenic Train Ride to Grandview through the Upper Placer River Gorge Canyon- The Most Scenic Section of the AK Railroad
- 5:15 PM De-board Train at Portage Station for the shuttle back to Girdwood
- 5:45 PM Return Arrival to Girdwood
- 6:45 PM Return Arrival to Anchorage for Anchorage Guests
Optional Glacier Landing Add-On:
- $400 Glacier Landing Add-On (per booking party of up to 3 guests) -please email us to let us know you'd like to add this option after placing your online order
- The normal Landing Zone for this trip is NOT on the glacier ice but on the glacier moraine (a gravel surface directly adjacent to Spencer Glacier where we start our hike to basecamp)
- If you would like to walk on the glacier ice, this add-on will cover the cost of a 15-minute glacier landing before a short flight to the landing zone where we start your hike
- A minimum of 2 Guests per booking party is required for this Helicopter Glacier Kayak Adventure.
- This Helicopter Adventure is PRIVATE per Booking Party.
- A 20-minute unforgettable scenic flight of the surrounding Chugach Mountains to Spencer Glacier.
- Catered sack lunch, drinks, and snacks are provided. Please let us know ahead of time of any dietary restrictions (vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free options are available)
- We provide splash tops, spray skirts, and Personal Flotation Devices (life vests) for all iceberg kayak tours. We have a base camp at Spencer Lake with this equipment.
- Bring warm clothes & layers, and warm socks to wear.
- Most guests bring their cameras, we can’t guarantee that they won’t get wet, but you should get amazing photos.
- We require all guests to sign a release of liability on the rafting/canoe/kayak tours.
- Spencer Lake Distances: The paddle across the lake is approximately 2 miles one way. It takes anywhere between 20 Minutes (With Calm Perfect weather) to 1 hour to paddle across the lake.
- Young Children–The minimum age for Kayak Tours is 8 years old. All children will participate in tandem kayaks with a parent or the most experienced paddler in your group. Groups with children under 8 could join the tour by utilizing a raft instead of kayaks. Please reach out directly if you have young children in your group.
- The maximum weight for kayaks is 240 lbs. The maximum height is 6'3". We can provide a Rafting lake tour for guests who don't meet weight & height restrictions and provide a similar tour via raft.
- There are restrooms on the train and at the Spencer Whistle Stop. There are no restrooms once we are on the river, backcountry options only
Weight & Size Considerations for your Helicopter Glacier KAYAK Adventure:
The approximate maximum weight is 240 lbs.
The approximate maximum height is 6’3”.
Ultimately it is up to the guide's discretion and the comfort level of the guest if our kayaks will work for a kayak trip. Guests with large foot sizes and guests who don’t like to sit for up to 1-hour in a touring (sit-inside) kayak may also have difficulty fitting and/or being comfortable in kayaks. Thankfully, we can provide the same lake tour in a Raft for guests who don't meet height/weight limits and/or don't feel comfortable in kayaks. Please let us know ASAP if you think you may opt for a Raft instead of a Kayak for this trip. If you are close to the maximum size considerations, please be advised that we can not guarantee that a kayak trip will work until in the field, and any guide decisions are ultimately made with your safety being the utmost priority.
For guests that do not meet Weight or Height Restrictions, we recommend our Comet Heli Hiking & Rafting Trip.
Alpine Air Helicopter Charter Weight Policy Information: The max weight limit for a helicopter seat is 290 lbs. If a guest does not meet this weight seat limit and the Helicopter company is unable to fly, the Helicopter charter cost for the trip will still be incurred by the guest. If an R66 Helicopter is utilized for a guest or guests in which the total guest weight + a guide is unable to stay below 600 lbs (total maximum weight limit for an R44), there will also be an additional charge of $200 for the party to cover the cost of the more expensive R66 Helicopter Charter.
Weather – Trip Adjustments:
Water levels, wind, and other natural factors beyond our control may cause us to alter your trip for your safety & enjoyment. For example on windy days, if you have booked a Kayak trip, we reserve the right to have you join us on a rafting trip.
Landing zone locations and the extent of our glacier hiking & moraine treks are dictated mostly by the weather of the day and the group’s activity level & speed.
Chugach Adventures does not cancel trips due to inclement weather, nor provide refunds when adventures are adjusted based on weather.
If Alpine Air Alaska Helicopter Charter Company cancels the Helicopter for the day due to extreme weather then you will be provided a Refund, and the option to change to an alternate adventure trip for the day to visit Spencer Glacier. Flight delays are also possible up to 12 Noon with Helicopter flights.
Cancellation Policy for Day Tour Bookings:
Cancellations made 10 days or more in advance are 90% refundable.
Cancellations within 10 days are nonrefundable.
AK RAILROAD Cancellation Policy & Change Fee Information: All paid bookings are subject to a 10% change fee for the Railroad portion of the trip cost if a date change is requested within 30 days.
Gratuity / Tip:
Our guides are expected to go above and beyond for this trip and greatly appreciate any & all gratuities.