Daily Itinerary for the Spencer Glacier Float Trip:
9:45 AM – Glacier Discovery Train Departs Anchorage
11:00 AM – Train Departs Girdwood – AWCC Add-On Guests Disembark Train for AK Wildlife Conservation Center Tour (Chugach Adventures’ Greeter will board Train & answer any questions)
12:15 PM – Train Arrives Whittier
12:45 PM – Train Departs Whittier
1:15 PM – Train Arrives Portage Train Depot – AWCC Add-On Guests return to train for the iceberg rafting adventure
1:25 PM – Train Departs Portage Train Depot
1:55 PM – Train Arrives at Spencer Glacier Whistle Stop
2 – 4:45 PM – Spencer Glacier Float Rafting Tour (2 Hours on the Water)
5 – 5:15 PM – Return via Train to Portage Train Depot
5:15 PM – Anchorage & Girdwood guests board motorcoach bus / shuttle van for quicker transportation back to their original location
5:45 PM – Arrival into Girdwood
6:45 PM – Arrival into Anchorage
- Perfect Float for ALL AGES & Abilities. We have had guests as young as 1 and wise guests into their 90’s on this trip.
- Max Guest to Guide Ratio is 8:1 per raft.
- This is our most popular & hallmark trip during the peak season (mid-June thru July).
- Lunch is provided for guests who ADD-ON the AK Wildlife Conservation Center (AWCC) tour option only.
- We recommend visiting AWCC for an awesome combo day tour. If you are on the train from Anchorage or in Girdwood, click on the Add-On above. If you have your own rental vehicle and are boarding in Portage, AWCC is located just 1.5 miles South of the Portage Station and is an easy stopover on your own before boarding the train in Portage at 1:15 PM and heading out rafting.
- There is a Small Cafe on the Glacier Discovery Train with limited menu options – Sandwiches, Wraps, Pizza – for guests who need lunch. The Cafe is cashless and requires a credit or debit card.
- We provide rubber boots, a rain poncho (If it is a rainy day), & Personal Flotation Device (life vest) for all guests.
- Bring warm clothes & layers, extra socks, a hat & gloves. These are more important in August & September, but nice to have in June & July with AK’s unpredictable weather.
- Most guests bring their cameras, we can’t guarantee that they won’t get wet, but you should get great photos.
- Personal baggage can be left on the train while you go on your adventure. (The Alaska Railroad & Chugach Adventures can not guarantee the safety of your bags, but in over ten years of operations we have had no problems with belongings on the train). Space is available for small bags in the raft that can either sit on your lap or get wet, waterproof bags are recommended.
- We require all guests to sign a release of liability on all of our tours.
- Placer River Float is a Class I to II (With High Water), mellow braided river, no big rapids. Most guests will not get splashed with water. If you are concerned about getting splashed request a spot in the raft that is NOT “splashy” when speaking to your guide.
- Raft Loads- Family & Friends are put on the same raft. If you have a request to be with a friend, please let us know on the train. Max capacity is 8 adults in each raft. Please call us up if you want a private raft for your family. There is an additional cost for a private raft.
- Young Children–When making a rafting, kayaking, or other adventure reservation with the Alaska Railroad they do not allow children under the age of 5. Chugach Adventures can make reservations upon pre-approval. The minimum age is usually about 2 years old. Children must be able to wear a life vest and comfortably sit for at least 2.5 hours in a raft without jumping around or being out of control. Please call us to discuss further for children under 2 years old.
- There are restrooms on the train and at the Spencer Whistle Stop. There are no restrooms on the river, backcountry options only.
Cancellation Policy for Day Tour Bookings:
Cancellations made 10 days or more in advance are 90% refundable.
Cancellations within 10 days are nonrefundable.
AK RAILROAD Cancellation Policy & Change Fee Information: All paid bookings are subject to a 10% change fee for the Railroad portion of the trip cost if a date change is requested within 30 days.
Weather – Trip Adjustments:
Water levels, wind, and other natural factors beyond our control may cause us to alter your trip for your safety & enjoyment.
For example on windy days, if you have booked a Kayak trip, we reserve the right to have you join us on a rafting trip. With our Spencer Glacier Float trip, the river portion is based on water levels in the river. We reserve the right to modify your rafting trip to a Spencer Glacier Float lake tour going closer to the glacier if the water levels are not sufficient for a safe/enjoyable trip down the Placer River.
Landing zone locations and the extent of our glacier hiking & moraine treks are dictated mostly by the weather of the day and the group’s activity level & speed.
Chugach Adventures does not cancel trips due to inclement weather, nor provide refunds when adventures are adjusted based on weather.
Gratuity / Tip: Our guides are expected to go above and beyond for this trip and greatly appreciate any & all gratuities.