Join us for one of our most popular tours – Bears, Trains, & Icebergs.
Trains– Ride the scenic Glacier Discovery Alaska Railroad Train.
Icebergs – Float in a raft amongst icebergs at Spencer Glacier- the closest location to get up close to icebergs when originating from Anchorage or Girdwood.
Anchorage or Girdwood – The Bears, Trains & Icebergs Tour originates from either Anchorage or Girdwood.
De-board at the Portage Train Depot and take a brief shuttle to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center for a guided & interpretive tour of the animals. The center is Alaska’s premier rehabilitation facility for injured and orphaned wildlife. Bears – AWCC Tour runs 1.5 hours and includes walking and driving options to view the animals. A gourmet sack lunch is provided with this tour. Once done with the AWCC, our guide will transport you back to board the Glacier Discovery Train where you will continue onto your next adventure at Spencer Glacier—Spencer Iceberg & Placer River Float Tour—Get up close and personal to the ICEBERGS on this mellow float perfect for all ages. Our experienced and professional guides will row you right up to beautiful picturesque icebergs offering stunning panoramic views of the Spencer Glacier and surrounding mountains. Return via the Glacier Discovery TRAIN to Portage Station.
9:45 AM – Glacier Discovery Train Departs Anchorage
11:00 AM – Train Departs Girdwood (Chugach Adventures’ Guide Greeter Boards Train & will answer any questions)
11:30 AM – Train Arrives Portage 1st Stop – AWCC Add-On Guests Disembark Train for AK Wildlife Conservation Center Tour
11:30 – 1:00 PM – Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center Tour (AWCC)– Alaska’s Premier Wildlife Sanctuary for injured and orphaned big game Alaska animals
1:00 PM – Catered Sack Lunch Provided, Return to Portage Station
1:15 PM – Train Arrives Portage 2nd Stop
1:25 PM – Train Departs Portage 2nd Stop
1:55 PM – Train Arrives Spencer Whistle Stop
2 – 4:45 PM – Spencer Iceberg and Placer River Float Tour (2 Hours on the Water)
5 – 5:15 PM – Return Via Train to Portage Station
5:15 PM – Anchorage & Girdwood guests board motorcoach bus for quicker transportation back to their original boarding location
5:45 PM Motorcoach Arrives Girdwood
6:45 PM Motorcoach Arrives Anchorage
- Bears, Trains, & Icebergs is a great tour for ALL AGES.
- Lunch is provided. Please let us know of any dietary requests ahead of time (vegetarian, gluten-free, allergies, etc.).
- We provide rubber boots, a rain poncho (If it is a rainy day), & Personal Flotation Device (life vest).
- Bring warm clothes & layers, extra socks, a hat & gloves. These are more important in August & September, but nice to have in June & July with AK’s unpredictable weather.
- Most guests bring their cameras, we can’t guarantee that they won’t get wet, but you should get great photos.
- Personal baggage can be left on the train while you go rafting. (The AK Railroad & Chugach Adventures can not guarantee the safety of your bags, but in over ten years of operations we have had no problems with belongings on the train). Space is available for small bags in the raft that can either sit on your lap or get wet, waterproof bags are recommended.
- We require all guests to sign a release of liability on all of our tours.
- Placer River Float is a Class I to II (With High Water), mellow braided river, no big rapids. Most guests will not get splashed with water. If you are concerned about getting splashed request a spot in the raft that is NOT “splashy” when speaking to your guide. The Rafting trip is suitable for all ages. We have had guests as young as a year old and guests into their 90’s on this trip.
- Raft Loads- Family & Friends are put on the same raft. If you have a request to be with a friend, please let us know on the train. Max capacity is 8 adults in each raft. Please call us up if you want a private raft for your family. There is an additional cost for a private raft.
- Young Children–When making a rafting, kayak, or other adventure reservation with the Alaska Railroad they do not allow children under the age of 5. Chugach Adventures can make reservations upon pre-approval. The minimum age is usually about 2 years old. Children must be able to wear a life-vest and comfortably sit for at least 2.5 hours in a raft without jumping around or being out of control. Please call us up to discuss further for children under 2 years old.
- There are restrooms on the train and at the Spencer Whistle Stop. There are no restrooms on the river, backcountry options only.
Cancellation Policy for Day Tour Bookings:
Cancellations made 10 days or more in advance are 90% refundable.
Cancellations within 10 days are nonrefundable.
Gratuity / Tip: Our guides are expected to go above and beyond for this trip and greatly appreciate any & all gratuities.