A minimum of 4 guests is required to book this adventure.
We utilize tandem kayaks or Rafts for this trip and our guide-to-guest ratio is 1:6. For parties with more than 8 guests, we can only offer this trip by Raft for additional party members.
The kayak portion of this trip is weather and wind-dependent. In inclement weather, we will opt to utilize Rafts for the safety & enjoyment of our guests. We strongly RECOMMEND our Glacier Blue kayak trip for guests that want our best Kayak Trip, or our Helicopter Glacier Blue Kayak Trip. Both of these trips operate in the mornings, which tends to have better weather for kayaking at Spencer Glacier Lake.
Spencer Glacier Discovery Iceberg Hike & KAYAK/RAFT Tour Itinerary:
9:45 AM – Glacier Discovery Train Departs Anchorage
11:00 AM – Train Departs Girdwood
12:15 PM – Train Arrives in Whittier
12:45 PM – Train Departs Whittier
1:15 PM – Train Arrives at Portage Train Depot
1:25 PM – Train Departs Portage Train Depot
1:55 PM – Train Arrives at Spencer Glacier Whistle Stop
2 – 3 PM – 1.5 Mile Glacier Discovery Iceberg Hike (from Spencer Glacier Whistle Stop to Spencer Glacier Lake)
3 PM – 4:15 PM – Iceberg Kayak or Raft if inclement weather around icebergs on Spencer Lake
4:30 – Return to the Glacier Discovery Train
4:45 PM – Departure of Glacier Discovery Train
5:15 PM – Arrive in Portage and board the motorcoach back to Anchorage or Chugach Adventures’ shuttle back to Girdwood
5:45 PM – Arrival in Girdwood
6:45 PM – Arrival in Anchorage
- Snacks, Water, and Hot Drinks are provided. Lunch is available for purchase on the train (the Glacier Discovery Train Cafe is a cashless service, and Credit Cards are required).
- We provide splash tops, spray skirts & personal flotation devices (life vests) for all iceberg kayak/rafting tours
- Bring warm clothes & layers, and warm socks to wear.
- Most guests bring their cameras, we can’t guarantee that they won’t get wet, but you should get amazing photos.
- We require all guests to sign a release of liability on our tours.
- Spencer Lake Distances: The Lake is approximately 2 miles to the Glacier Face and 1/2 Mile wide. For this trip, we kayak or raft on Spencer Lake around icebergs for approximately 1 hour after hiking for approximately 1 hour. Total Kayak distance is dependent on the weather and guests’ paddling abilities.
- Young Children–Minimum age for kayak tours is 8 years old. All children will participate in tandem kayaks with a parent or the most experienced paddler in your group. Groups with children under 8 could join the tour by utilizing a raft instead of kayaks. Please reach out directly if you have young children in your group.
- The maximum weight for kayaks is 240 lbs. The maximum height is 6’3″. We can provide a raft lake tour for guests that don’t meet weight & height restrictions and provide a similar tour via raft.
- There are restrooms on the train and at the Spencer Whistle Stop. There are no restrooms once we are on the river, backcountry options only
Weight & Size Considerations for KAYAKS:
The approximate maximum weight is 240 lbs.
The approximate maximum height is 6’3”.
Ultimately it is up to the guide’s discretion and the comfort level of the guest if our kayaks will work for a kayak trip. Guests with large foot sizes and guests that don’t like to sit for up to 1-hour in a touring (sit-inside) kayak may also have difficulty fitting and/or being comfortable in kayaks. Thankfully, we can provide the same lake tour in a Raft for guests that don’t meet height/weight limits and/or don’t feel comfortable in kayaks. Please let us know ASAP if you think you may opt for a Raft instead of a Kayak for this trip. If you are close to the maximum size considerations, please be advised that we can not guarantee that a kayak trip will work until in the field, and any guide decisions are ultimately made with your safety being the utmost priority.
Weather and Trip Adjustments
Water levels, wind, and other natural factors beyond our control may cause us to alter your trip. We do not operate kayaks on whitecap days on the lake for your safety and enjoyment. We have other options for hiking and rafting in inclement weather. It is up to the guide’s discretion and safety experience to determine what is the most appropriate decision for the day based on any inclement weather.
Cancellation Policy for Day Tour Bookings:
Cancellations made 10 days or more in advance are 90% refundable.
Cancellations within 10 days are nonrefundable.
AK RAILROAD Cancellation Policy & Change Fee Information: All paid bookings are subject to a 10% change fee for the Railroad portion of the trip cost if a date change is requested within 30 days.
Gratuity / Tip
Our guides are expected to go above and beyond for this trip and greatly appreciate any & all gratuities.