A perfect paddle for beginners or expert paddlers. There is no tidal influence at Spencer Lake and the morning tends to be the best time at Spencer Lake- calm, serene, and beautiful. The total iceberg kayak paddle distance is approximately 4 miles. Please let us know your experience level so that we can tailor your Alaskan glacier kayak tour to your party’s ability & ambition. Minimum of 2 guests needed to book.
*This trip is available departing from Anchorage or Girdwood on the Alaska Railroad’s Coastal Classic Train.
ICEBERG KAYAK Tour Itinerary: Depart on Coastal Classic Train with Glacier Discovery Return
6:45 AM – Coastal Classic departs Anchorage (Breakfast & Coffee is available on the train, but please let the onboard supervisor know that you will be getting off at Spencer Glacier and need to eat early.)
7:30 AM – If Departing from Girdwood, meet your guides at the Chugach Adventures’ Office at 1553 Alyeska Highway, Girdwood, AK 99587.
8:05 AM – Coastal Classic departs Girdwood (Chugach Adventures’ Kayak Guides board the train at this location).
9 AM – Arrival at the Spencer Glacier Whistle Stop
9:30 AM – 12:30 PM – Iceberg Kayak on Spencer Glacier Lake; 4 Mile Kayak Paddle. Short Hike at Spencer Moraine.
1:00 PM – 1:30 PM – Lunch
2 – 5 PM – Scenic Train Ride to Grandview thru the Upper Placer River Gorge Canyon- The Most Scenic Section of the AK Railroad.
5:15 PM – Arrive in Portage and board motorcoach back to Anchorage or take Chugach Adventures’ Van Shuttle Back to Girdwood
5:45 PM – Return arrival to Girdwood by Chugach Adventures’ Van Shuttle
6:45 PM – Arrive in Anchorage by Motorcoach Bus
- A catered sack lunch is provided (sandwich, fruit, dessert & bottled water). Veggie or other dietary requests are welcome, please notify us ahead of time.
- We provide splash tops, spray skirts & Personal Flotation Device (life vest) for all iceberg kayak tours.
- Bring warm clothes & layers, warm socks to wear.
- Most guests bring their cameras, we can’t guarantee that they won’t get wet, but you should get amazing photos.
- We require all guests to sign a release of liability on the rafting/canoe/kayak tours.
- Spencer Lake Distances: The paddle across the lake is approximately 2 miles one way. It takes anywhere between 20 Minutes (With Calm Perfect weather) to 1 hour to paddle across the lake.
- Young Children–Minimum age for Kayak Tours is 8 years old. All children will participate in tandem kayaks with a parent or the most experienced paddler in your group. Groups with children under 8 could join the tour by utilizing a raft instead of kayaks. Please reach out directly if you have young children in your group.
- The maximum weight for kayaks is 240 lbs. The maximum height is 6’3″. We can provide a raft lake tour for guests that don’t meet weight & height restrictions and provide a similar tour via raft.
- There are restrooms on the train and at the Spencer Whistle Stop. There are no restrooms once we are on the river, backcountry options only
Weight & Size Considerations for KAYAKS:
Approximate maximum weight is 240 lbs.
Approximate maximum height is 6’3”.
Ultimately it is up to the guide’s discretion and comfort level of the guest if our kayaks will work for a kayak trip. Guests with large foot sizes and guests that don’t like to sit for up to 1-hour in a touring (sit-inside) kayak may also have difficulty fitting and/or being comfortable in kayaks. Thankfully, we can provide the same lake tour in a Raft for guests that don’t meet height/weight limits and/or don’t feel comfortable in kayaks. Please let us know ASAP if you think you may opt for a Raft instead of a Kayak for this trip. If you are close to the maximum size considerations, please be advised that we can not guarantee that a kayak trip will work until in the field, and any guide decisions are ultimately made with your safety being the utmost priority.
Weather and Trip Adjustments:
Water levels, wind, and other natural factors beyond our control may cause us to alter your trip. We do not operate kayaks or canoes on whitecap days on the lake for your safety and enjoyment. We have other options with hiking, rafting, and a shortened kayak tour to provide a safe and enjoyable tour alternative under inclement weather. It is up to the guide’s discretion and safety experience to determine what is the most appropriate decision for the day based on any inclement weather.
Cancellation Policy for Day Tour Bookings:
Cancellations made 10 days or more in advance are 90% refundable.
Cancellations within 10 days are nonrefundable.
AK RAILROAD Cancellation Policy & Change Fee Information: All paid bookings are subject to a 10% change fee for the Railroad portion of the trip cost, if a date change is requested within 30 days.
Gratuity / Tip:
Our guides are expected to go above and beyond for this trip and greatly appreciate any & all gratuities.