Daily Chugach Adventures & Glacier Discovery Train TIMES & Itinerary:
9:45 AM – Glacier Discovery Train Departs Anchorage
11:00 AM Train Departs Girdwood (Chugach Adventures’ Guide Greeter Boards Train & will answer any questions)
11:30 AM Train Arrives Portage 1st Stop – AWCC Add-On Guests Disembark Train for AK Wildlife Conservation Center From 11:30 – 1:00.
12:15 PM Train Arrives Whittier
12:45 PM Train Departs Whittier
1:15 PM Train Arrives Portage 2nd Stop
1:25 PM Train Departs Portage 2nd Stop
1:55 PM Train Arrives Spencer Whistle Stop
2- 4:45 PM Spencer Iceberg & Placer River Float – 2 Hours on the Water.
5-5:15 PM Return Via Train to Portage Station
5:30 PM Anchorage & Girdwood Guests Board Motorcoach Bus for Quicker Transportation back to original boarding location.
5:45 PM Motorcoach Arrives Girdwood
6:45 PM Motorcoach Arrives Anchorage
- Perfect Float for ALL AGES. We have had guests as young as 1 and wise guests into their 90’s on this trip.
- Max Guest to Guide Ratio is 9:1 per raft.
- This is our most popular & hallmark trip that during the peak season (mid June thru July) has 40-60+ guests join us.
- Lunch is provided for guests that ADD-ON the AWCC tour option.
- We recommend visiting AWCC for an awesome Combo day tour. If you are on the train from Anchorage or in Girdwood, click on the Add-On above. If you have your own rental vehicle and are boarding in Portage, AWCC is located just 1.5 miles South from the Portage Station and is an easy stopover on your own before boarding the train in Portage at 1:15 PM and heading to Spencer.
- There is a Small Cafe on the Glacier Discovery Train with limited menu options – Sandwiches, Wraps, Pizza – for guests that need lunch. The Cafe is cashless and requires a credit or debit card.
- We provide rubber boots, rain poncho (If it is a rainy day), & Personal Flotation Device (life vest).
- Bring warm clothes & layers, extra socks, a hat & gloves. These are more important in August & September, but nice to have in June & July with AK’s unpredictable weather.
- Most guests bring their cameras, we can’t guarantee that they won’t get wet, but you should get great photos.
- Personal baggage can be left on the train while you go rafting or canoeing. (The AK Railroad & Chugach Adventures can not guarantee the safety of your bags, but in over ten years of operation we have not had any lost or stolen baggage) Space is available for small bags that can either sit on your lap, or get wet, waterproof bags are recommended.
- We require all guests to sign a release of liability on all of our tours.
- Placer River Float is a Class I to II (With High Water), mellow braided river, no big rapids. Most guests will not get splashed with water. If you are concerned about getting splashed request a spot in the raft that is NOT “splashy” when speaking to your guide.
- Raft Loads-Family & Friends are put on the same raft. If you have a request to be with a friend, please let us know on the train. Max capacity is 9 adults in each raft. We most often have 7-8 guests per raft. Please call us up if you want a Private Raft for your family. There is an additional cost for a private raft.
- Young Children–When making a river, kayak, or canoe reservation with the Alaska Railroad they do not allow children under the age of 5. Chugach Adventures can make reservations upon pre-approval. The minimum age is usually about 2 years old. Children must be able to wear a life-vest and comfortably sit for at least 2.5 hours in a raft without jumping around or being out of control. Please call us up to discuss further for children under 2 years old.
- There are restrooms on the train and at the Spencer Whistle Stop. There are no restrooms on the river, backcountry options only.
Chugach Adventures’ Cancellation Policy:
Any cancellation made up to 3-9 days in advance will receive a 50% refund. For cancellations within 48 hours, NO refund will be given. Cancellations made 10 days or more in advance will receive a full refund minus a 5% transaction fee.
AK RAILROAD Cancellation Policy & Change Fee Information: All paid bookings are subject to a 10% change fee for the Railroad portion of the trip cost, if a date change is requested within 30 days.
Gratuity / Tip
Our guides are expected to go above and beyond for this trip and greatly appreciate any & all gratuities.