A perfect paddle for both beginner and expert paddlers. There is no tidal influence at Spencer Lake and the late afternoon, early evening paddles tend to be calm and beautiful. The total paddle distance is approximately 4 miles. Please let us know your experience level so that we can tailor your Alaska glacier kayak tour to your parties ability & ambition. Minimum of 2 guests needed to book.
RIDE Both Glacier Discovery & Coastal Classic AK Railroad Trains:
This tour utilizes 2 AK Railroad trains: the Glacier Discovery & Coastal Classic. The tour starts on the Glacier Discovery Train with an evening return on the Coastal Classic Train.
EARLY SEASON (May 2020/ June 1-5) KAYAKING OPTION:
Kayaking is also available with our Magical Spencer Double Trip and this trip is available starting May 23, 2020. The Grandview segment of the Glacier Blue Kayak does not start until June 6, 2020, as their is potential avalanche danger in the Kenai Mountains where the rail route travels in late May & early June.
Differences Between Glacier Blue Kayak (Morning Trip) & Wildlife Iceberg Kayak Adventure (Afternoon Trip):
**The Morning Glacier Blue Kayak Trip is our recommended kayak trip on Sundays – Thursdays for those that want extra time kayaking on the water. The paddle plan for the Glacier Blue Kayak Vs. the Wildlife Iceberg Kayak Adventure are similar at Spencer Glacier Lake, just one is a morning trip and one is a late afternoon & evening trip. There is more time kayak paddling with the morning trip & additional time to go for a longer glacier moraine trek. Whereas, only the Wildlife & Iceberg Kayak Adventure goes to the AK Wildlife Conservation Center.
AFTERNOON Wildlife KAYAK Tour Itinerary: (Glacier Discovery Departure Times from Anchorage- 9:45 AM; Girdwood Pick-Up at 11 AM; Whittier- 12:45 PM).
11:30 AM – 1 PM – Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center Visit- Guaranteed Wildlife at Alaska’s Premier Animal Rehabilitation Center.
2 – 4:30 PM – Scenic Train Ride to Grandview thru the Upper Placer River Gorge- The Most Scenic Section of the AK Railroad.
4:45 PM – 7:45 PM – Iceberg Kayak Paddle on Spencer Glacier Lake and Glacier Moraine Trek adjacent to Spencer Glacier
8:15 PM – Return via Coastal Classic Train
8:50 PM – Girdwood Arrival via Coastal Train
10:15 PM – Anchorage Arrival via Coastal Train
- A catered sack lunch is provided (sandwich, fruit, dessert & bottled water). Veggie or other dietary requests are welcome, please notify us ahead of time.
- We provide splash tops, spray skirts & Personal Flotation Device (life vest) for all kayak tours.
- Bring warm clothes & layers, warm socks to wear.
- Most guests bring their cameras, we can’t guarantee that they won’t get wet, but you should get amazing photos.
- We require all guests to sign a release of liability on the rafting/canoe/kayak tours.
- Spencer Lake Distances: The paddle across the lake is approximately 2 miles one way. It takes anywhere between 20 Minutes (With Calm Perfect weather) to 1 hour to paddle across the lake.
- Young Children–Minimum age for Kayak is 6 years old. All children will participate in tandem kayaks with a parent or most experienced paddler in your group.
- Maximum weight for kayaks is 230 lbs. Maximum height is 6’5″. We can provide a raft lake tour for guests that don’t meet weight & height restrictions and provide a similar tour.
- There are restrooms on the train and at the Spencer Whistle Stop. There are no restrooms once we are on the river, backcountry options only
Weather and Trip Adjustments
Water levels, wind, and other natural factors beyond our control may cause us to alter your trip. We do not operate kayaks or canoes on whitecap days on the lake for your safety and enjoyment. We have other options with hiking, rafting, and a shortened kayak tour to provide a safe and enjoyable tour alternative under inclement weather. It is up to the guide’s discretion and safety experience to determine what is the most appropriate decision for the day based on any inclement weather.
Cancellation Policy for Day Tour Bookings:
Cancellations made 10 days or more in advance are 95% refundable (there is a 5% non-commissionable cancellation fee that covers credit card processing fees and other charges). Any cancellations made between 3 to 9 days in advance will receive a 50% refund. For cancellations within 48 hours, no refund will be given.
AK RAILROAD Cancellation Policy & Change Fee Information: All paid bookings are subject to a 10% change fee for the Railroad portion of the trip cost, if a date change is requested within 30 days.
Gratuity / Tip
Our guides are expected to go above and beyond for this trip and greatly appreciate any & all gratuities.