A perfect paddle for beginners and expert paddlers. There is no tidal influence at Spencer Lake and the morning and evening paddles tend to be calm and beautiful. The total paddle distance is approximately 3 miles. Please let us know your experience level, so that we can tailor your kayak tour to your parties ability & ambition. This tour if often private to the booking party. Minimum of 2 guests needed to book.
RIDE Both Glacier Discovery & Coastal Classic AK Railroad Trains:
This tour utilizes 2 AK Railroad trains: the Glacier Discovery & Coastal Classic. The tour is available all afternoons from May 26 – September 16, 2018 starting on the Glacier Discovery Train with an evening return on the Coastal Classic Train. The tour is also available on Sunday – Thursday 2018 dates starting on the morning Coastal Classic with a return on the later afternoon Glacier Discovery Train. On the final checkout page, please let us know which date you would like to join us and if you would like a Morning or Afternoon Trip. We recommend the morning trip if you don’t mind getting up early.
AFTERNOON KAYAK Tour Itinerary: (Glacier Discovery Departure Times from Anchorage- 9:45 AM; Girdwood- 11 AM, Whittier- 12:45 PM).
2 – 4:30 PM – Scenic Train Ride to Grandview thru the Upper Placer River Gorge
4:45 PM – 7:45 PM – Kayak Tour on Spencer Lake and Glacier Moraine Trek adjacent to Spencer Glacier
8:15 PM – Return via Coastal Classic Train
8:50 PM – Girdwood Arrival via Coastal Train
10:15 PM – Anchorage Arrival via Coastal Train
MORNING KAYAK Tour Itinerary: Coastal Classic with Glacier Discovery Return (only available Sunday-Thursday.)
6:45 AM – Coastal Classic departs Anchorage (Breakfast & Coffee is available on the train, but please let the onboard supervisor know that you will be getting off at Spencer Glacier and need to eat early.)
8:05 AM – Coastal Classic departs Girdwood
9 AM – Arrive at Spencer Whistle Stop
9:30 AM – 12:30 PM – Kayak Tour on Spencer Lake and Glacier Trek
12:30 PM – 1:30 PM – Lunch
2 – 5 PM – Scenic Train Ride to Grandview thru the Upper Placer River Gorge Canyon
5:15 PM – Arrive in Portage and board motor coach back to Anchorage
6:45 PM – Arrive in Anchorage
- A catered sack lunch is provided (sandwich, fruit, dessert & bottled water). Veggie or other dietary requests are welcome, please notify us ahead of time.
- We provide splash tops, spray skirts & Personal Flotation Device (life vest) for all kayak tours.
- Bring warm clothes & layers, warm socks to wear.
- Most guests bring their cameras, we can’t guarantee that they won’t get wet, but you should get amazing photos.
- We require all guests to sign a release of liability on the rafting/canoe/kayak tours.
- Spencer Lake Distances: The paddle across the lake is approximately 1.5 miles one way. It takes anywhere between 20 Minutes (With Calm Perfect weather) to 1 hour to paddle across the lake.
- Young Children–Minimum age for Kayak is 6 years old. All children will participate in tandem kayaks with a parent or most experienced paddler in your group.
- Maximum weight for kayaks is 230 lbs. Maximum height is 6’5″. We can provide a raft lake tour for guests that don’t meet weight & height restrictions and provide a similar tour.
- There are restrooms on the train and at the Spencer Whistle Stop. There are no restrooms once we are on the river, backcountry options only
Weather and Trip Adjustments
Water levels, wind, and other natural factors beyond our control may cause us to alter your trip. We do not operate kayaks or canoes on whitecap days on the lake for your safety and enjoyment. We have other options with hiking, rafting, and a shortened kayak tour to provide a safe and enjoyable tour alternative under inclement weather. It is up to the guide’s discretion and safety experience to determine what is the most appropriate decision for the day based on any inclement weather.
Chugach Adventures’ Cancellation Policy:
Any cancellation made up to 7 days in advance will receive a 50% refund. For cancellations within 48 hours, NO refund will be given. Cancellations made 8 days or more in advance will receive a full refund minus a 5% transaction fee.
AK RAILROAD Cancellation Policy & Change Fee Information: All paid bookings are subject to a 10% change fee for the Railroad portion of the trip cost, if a date change is requested within 30 days.