A perfect paddle for beginners or expert paddlers. There is no tidal influence at Spencer Lake and the morning tends to be the best time at Spencer Lake- calm, serene, and beautiful. The total paddle distance is approximately 4 miles. Please let us know your experience level so that we can tailor your Alaskan glacier kayak tour to your party’s ability & ambition. This tour is often private to the booking party. Minimum of 2 guests needed to book.
*On the final checkout page, please let us know if you will be staying in ANCHORAGE or GIRDWOOD as well as the date you would like to join us* –We will need this information in order to reserve your train tickets and have them waiting for you at the correct train station.
MORNING KAYAK Tour Itinerary: Coastal Classic with Glacier Discovery Return (We recommend the morning option as you get more time on the water)
6:45 AM – Coastal Classic departs Anchorage (Breakfast & Coffee is available on the train, but please let the onboard supervisor know that you will be getting off at Spencer Glacier and need to eat early.)
8:05 AM – Coastal Classic departs Girdwood (Chugach Adventures’ Kayak Guides board the train at this location).
9 AM – Arrive at Spencer Whistle Stop
9:30 AM – 12:30 PM – Glacier Kayak Alaska Tour on Spencer Lake
12:30 PM – 1:30 PM – Lunch
2 – 5 PM – Scenic Train Ride to Grandview thru the Upper Placer River Gorge Canyon
5:15 PM – Arrive in Portage and board motor coach back to Anchorage or Chugach Adventures’ Van Shuttle Back to Girdwood
5:45 PM – Return arrival to Girdwood by Chugach Adventures’ Van Shuttle
6:45 PM – Arrive in Anchorage by Motorcoach Bus
- A catered sack lunch is provided (sandwich, fruit, dessert & bottled water). Veggie or other dietary requests are welcome, please notify us ahead of time.
- We provide splash tops, spray skirts & Personal Flotation Device (life vest) for all kayak tours.
- Bring warm clothes & layers, warm socks to wear.
- Most guests bring their cameras, we can’t guarantee that they won’t get wet, but you should get amazing photos.
- We require all guests to sign a release of liability on the rafting/canoe/kayak tours.
- Spencer Lake Distances: The paddle across the lake is approximately 2 miles one way. It takes anywhere between 20 Minutes (With Calm Perfect weather) to 1 hour to paddle across the lake.
- Young Children–Minimum age for Kayak is 6 years old. All children will participate in tandem kayaks with a parent or most experienced paddler in your group.
- Maximum weight for kayaks is 230 lbs. Maximum height is 6’5″. We can provide a raft lake tour for guests that don’t meet weight & height restrictions and provide a similar tour via raft.
- There are restrooms on the train and at the Spencer Whistle Stop. There are no restrooms once we are on the river, backcountry options only
Weather and Trip Adjustments
Water levels, wind, and other natural factors beyond our control may cause us to alter your trip. We do not operate kayaks or canoes on whitecap days on the lake for your safety and enjoyment. We have other options with hiking, rafting, and a shortened kayak tour to provide a safe and enjoyable tour alternative under inclement weather. It is up to the guide’s discretion and safety experience to determine what is the most appropriate decision for the day based on any inclement weather.
Cancellation Policy for Day Tour Bookings:
Cancellations made 10 days or more in advance are 95% refundable (there is a 5% non-commissionable cancellation fee that covers credit card processing fees and other charges). Any cancellations made between 3 to 9 days in advance will receive a 50% refund. For cancellations within 48 hours, no refund will be given.
AK RAILROAD Cancellation Policy & Change Fee Information: All paid bookings are subject to a 10% change fee for the Railroad portion of the trip cost, if a date change is requested within 30 days.
Gratuity / Tip
Our guides are expected to go above and beyond for this trip and greatly appreciate any & all gratuities.