Our Spencer Glacier Float is the perfect trip for all ages & abilities. The AK Railroad will stop the Coastal Classic in the morning at Spencer Glacier Whistle Stop to get more guests to Spencer to enjoy the magical mornings. The morning trip has an extra 1.5 hours exploring Spencer Glacier and includes a catered lunch.
RIDE Both Glacier Discovery & Coastal Classic AK Railroad Trains:
This tour utilizes two Alaska Railroad trains. The tour starts on the morning Coastal Classic Train with a return on the afternoon Glacier Discovery Train.
*On the final checkout page, please let us know if you will be staying in ANCHORAGE or GIRDWOOD as well as the date you would like to join us* –We will need this information in order to reserve your train tickets and have them waiting for you at the correct train station.
Tour Itinerary: Coastal Classic with Glacier Discovery Return
6:45 AM – Coastal Classic departs Anchorage (Breakfast & Coffee is available on the train, but please let the onboard supervisor know that you will be getting off at Spencer Glacier and need to eat early.)
8:05 AM – Coastal Classic departs Girdwood (Guests Originating from Girdwood can meet us at our office in Girdwood, or if needed can get picked up at their accommodations in Girdwood).
9 AM – Arrival to the Spencer Glacier Whistle Stop
9:30 AM – 1:30 PM – Spencer Iceberg RAFTING Tour – Spencer Glacier Lake Iceberg Exploration & 7 Mile River Float Down the Placer River.
12:30 PM – 1:30 PM – Lunch (Catered Sack Lunch, & Hot Drinks included on the trip).
2 – 5 PM – Scenic Train Ride to Grandview thru the Upper Placer River Gorge Canyon
5:15 PM – Arrive in Portage and board motorcoach back to Anchorage or take a Chugach Adventures’ Van Shuttle Back to Girdwood.
5:45 PM – Arrival Back to Girdwood.
6:45 PM – Arrival into Anchorage
- Max guest to guide ratio of 8:1.
- Minimum # of 4 guests to book this trip. Please email or call our office to see if there is space available for smaller groups.
- We are restricted by the AK Railroad as to how many guests we can bring out to Spencer Glacier on the morning train, so total group sizes are normally under 10 guests for this rafting trip, compared to our hallmark river trip, the afternoon Spencer Glacier Float trip.
- A catered sack lunch is provided (sandwich, fruit, dessert & bottled water). Veggie or other dietary requests are welcome, please notify us ahead of time.
- We provide rubber boots & Personal Flotation Device (life vest) for all raft tours.
- Bring warm clothes & layers, warm socks to wear.
- Most guests bring their cameras, we can’t guarantee that they won’t get wet, but you should get amazing photos.
- We require all guests to sign a release of liability on the rafting/canoe/kayak/hiking tours.
- Spencer Lake Distances: The paddle across the lake is approximately 1.5 miles one way. It takes anywhere between 20 Minutes (With Calm Perfect weather) to 1 hour to row across the lake.
- Young Children–Minimum age for Kayak is 6 years old. All children will participate in tandem kayaks with a parent or most experienced paddler in your group. Minimum age for Rafting is 2 years old.
- There are restrooms on the train and at the Spencer Whistle Stop. There are no restrooms once we are on the river, backcountry options only
Weather and Trip Adjustments
Water levels, wind, and other natural factors beyond our control may cause us to alter your trip. We have other options with hiking, rafting, and a shortened kayak tour to provide a safe and enjoyable tour alternative under inclement weather. It is up to the guide’s discretion and safety experience to determine what is the most appropriate decision for the day based on any inclement weather.
Cancellation Policy for Day Tour Bookings:
Cancellations made 10 days or more in advance are 95% refundable (there is a 5% non-commissionable cancellation fee that covers credit card processing fees and other charges). Any cancellations made between 3 to 9 days in advance will receive a 50% refund. For cancellations within 48 hours, no refund will be given.
AK RAILROAD Cancellation Policy & Change Fee Information: All paid bookings are subject to a 10% change fee for the Railroad portion of the trip cost, if a date change is requested within 30 days.
Gratuity / Tip:
Our guides are expected to go above and beyond for this trip and greatly appreciate any & all gratuities.