A perfect float for all ages & abilities. New to 2018 the AK Railroad will be stopping the Coastal Classic in the mornings at Spencer Glacier Whistle Stop Sunday – Thursdays, so we are very excited to get more guests to Spencer to enjoy the magical mornings. The morning trip has an extra 1.5 hours exploring Spencer Glacier and the Placer River and includes a catered lunch.
TRIP MINIMUM # of Guests:
This trip does have a minimum # of 4 guests to book this trip. Please email or call to see if there is space available for a morning trip for 2 people.
RIDE Both Glacier Discovery & Coastal Classic AK Railroad Trains:
This tour utilizes 2 AK Railroad trains: the Glacier Discovery & Coastal Classic. The tour is available on Sunday – Thursday 2018 dates starting on the morning Coastal Classic with a return on the later afternoon Glacier Discovery Train.
On the final checkout page, please let us know which date you would like to join us and if you will be boarding the train in ANCHORAGE OR GIRDWOOD.
Tour Itinerary: Coastal Classic with Glacier Discovery Return (only available Sunday-Thursday.)
6:45 AM – Coastal Classic departs Anchorage (Breakfast & Coffee is available on the train, but please let the onboard supervisor know that you will be getting off at Spencer Glacier and need to eat early.)
8:05 AM – Coastal Classic departs Girdwood
9 AM – Arrive at Spencer Whistle Stop
9:30 AM – 12:30 PM – Spencer Iceberg RAFTING Tour – 7 Mile River Float
12:30 PM – 1:30 PM – Lunch
2 – 5 PM – Scenic Train Ride to Grandview thru the Upper Placer River Gorge Canyon
5:15 PM – Arrive in Portage and board motor coach back to Anchorage
6:45 PM – Arrive in Anchorage
- A catered sack lunch is provided (sandwich, fruit, dessert & bottled water). Veggie or other dietary requests are welcome, please notify us ahead of time.
- We provide rubber boots & Personal Flotation Device (life vest) for all raft tours.
- Bring warm clothes & layers, warm socks to wear.
- Most guests bring their cameras, we can’t guarantee that they won’t get wet, but you should get amazing photos.
- We require all guests to sign a release of liability on the rafting/canoe/kayak/hiking tours.
- Spencer Lake Distances: The paddle across the lake is approximately 1.5 miles one way. It takes anywhere between 20 Minutes (With Calm Perfect weather) to 1 hour to row across the lake.
- Young Children–Minimum age for Kayak is 6 years old. All children will participate in tandem kayaks with a parent or most experienced paddler in your group. Minimum age for Rafting is 2 years old.
- There are restrooms on the train and at the Spencer Whistle Stop. There are no restrooms once we are on the river, backcountry options only
Weather and Trip Adjustments
Water levels, wind, and other natural factors beyond our control may cause us to alter your trip. We have other options with hiking, rafting, and a shortened kayak tour to provide a safe and enjoyable tour alternative under inclement weather. It is up to the guide’s discretion and safety experience to determine what is the most appropriate decision for the day based on any inclement weather.
Chugach Adventures / AK Railroad Cancellation Policy
Any cancellation made up to 7 days in advance will receive a 50% refund. For cancellations within 48 hours, NO refund will be given. Cancellations made 8 days or more in advance will receive a full refund minus a 5% transaction fee.