Prince William Sound- Blackstone Bay OR Culross Passage – 2 Day Overnight Camping, Kayaking, & Hiking Trip
Blackstone Bay- This is a most idyllic glacier location to spend exploring by sea kayak in Prince William Sound. Many hanging glaciers dot the surrounding mountains and the iceberg paddling can be magnificent. We recommend camping in Blackstone in May & June.
Culross Passage – This is an entirely protected passage with amazing clear water opportunities for tide-pooling, great sea kayaking adventures, & many hiking opportunities (with & without trails) to explore. We recommend Culross in the Fall time- September & October.
DAY 1: Guests will be transported from Anchorage or Girdwood to Whittier. The exact time of departure from the town of Whittier will be determined by water taxi availability. We like to get started late morning on most days. Please let us know where you will be needing transportation from, so that we can work out logistics of transportation.
Camp set-up will commence immediately upon arrival to our beach & basecamp location. Kayaks will be brought for all guests and at least 1 guide. We most often utilize tandem Wilderness System Kayaks for our Overnight Trips.
Guide to client ratio will be at least 4:1 for kayaking. The kayaking or hiking plan will be determined by time of arrival to base camp location, the weather of the day, client requests, and final guide determination.
DAY 2: Dependent on Water Taxi Pick-Up Time, Basecamp Tent location will be packed up and be readied for return at least 2 hours prior to return to Whittier. Kayaking & Hiking morning and early afternoon options as determined by the guide and client requests and what took place on the first day.
Return to Whittier in afternoon by water taxi. Return to Anchorage or Girdwood by Chugach Adventures’ Shuttle or AK Railroad’s Glacier Discovery Train boarding at 6:30 PM in Whittier.
- Minimum of 2 Guests to book this trip & advanced booking of at least 20 days required.
- Young Children–Minimum age for Kayak is 6 years old. All children will participate in tandem kayaks with a parent or most experienced paddler in your group.
- Maximum weight for kayaks is 230 lbs. Maximum height is 6’5″.
- We will tailor the adventure to your ambition & desires.
- Dinner is provided on Day 1, Breakfast & Lunch on Day 2. Please let us know if you have any dietary restrictions that we should be aware of.
- We provide splash tops, spray skirts & Personal Flotation Device (life vest) for all kayak tours.
- Sleeping bags, camp pillow, sleeping pads, and tents provided.
- Bring warm clothes & layers, extra socks, a hat & gloves. These are more important in August & September, but nice to have in June & July with AK’s unpredictable weather. Please let us know if you need additional clothing.
- Don’t forget your camera, we can’t guarantee that they won’t get wet, but you should get great photos.
- We require all guests to sign a release of liability on our tours.
Gratuity / Tip
- Our guides are expected to go above and beyond for this trip and greatly appreciate any & all gratuities.
Cancellation Policy for Custom, Multi Day, or Package Reservations:
Cancellations of package or custom reservations (or any components within a package) that are made 36 days or more prior to travel are 90% refundable (there is a 10% non-commissionable cancellation fee). Any charges incurred by Chugach Adventures as a result of cancellation will be applied to the reservations in addition to the 10% fee. Cancellations of custom or package reservations that are made 35 days or less prior to travel are non-refundable. Chugach Adventures does not issue refunds for unused services.
We strongly recommend that you purchase trip cancellation insurance so you can plan your travel with complete peace of mind. We recommend Travel Guard (travelguard.com)