MARTY RANEY’S BIO:
Marty Raney is a mountain climber, songwriter, and musician. He has been involved in the following films: as a Denali climbing guide in the film, Spirit of Alaska; as a sound man in the climbing film, Surviving Denali; as a talent, guide, and musician in the film, Han-Denali (video of live music on top of Mt. McKinley can be seen atwww.martyraney.com Yes, on the top!); as a guide, talent, and 2nd cameraman in the breast cancer Denali climb and film, Against All Odds (PBS); as a talent and musician in the Japanese film and book, The Great Summit Series, McKinley: Grand Mountain of the Far North; as a talent, guide, and musician in the hit BBC travel documentary, An Idiot Abroad; as a talent, guide, 1st cameraman, and musician in Strummit from the Summit (video of live music on the summit can be seen at www.martyraney.com. Yes, on the summit!!); as a talent and musician in the Denali climbing film, The High One (China, US); as a talent, musician, and guide in An Uphill Battle, the 1999 Denali Expedition; and as a talent, musician, and all-around Alaskan on Nat Geo Channel’s Ultimate Survival Alaska. All of this international movie and television exposure has resulted in over 100,000 internet hits in an attempt to find out who he is and how to get his music. For the first time ever, this music will be available to the public. This is just an ordinary, hardworking Alaskan whose music gained him national attention. Marty resides in Alaska with his beautiful wife, Mollee.
Enjoy an authentic Alaskan meal under the midnight sun. Wild Alaskan Salmon caught from the Kenai, Copper, and Bristol Bay (depending on time of year) will be grilled by your chef. Side dishes prepared by Spoons Catering in Girdwood, AK includes pasta salad with pesto & roasted peppers, caesar salad, garlic bread, triple chocolate brownie, and hot drinks. Vegetarian and children menu options also available. You won’t have a finer dinner experience in Alaska.
Vegetarian, gluten free, and children options available. Please let us know ahead of time if you have any dietary requests or needs.
Beverages /Alcohol: We do not provide alcohol on this trip, but if you’d like to bring an alcohol beverage of your choice, we will bring it to the beach for your meal. Water and juice are provided.
- Vegetarian/gluten free options available. Please let us know ahead of time if you have dietary restrictions.
- We provide rubber boots, rain poncho (If it is a rainy day), & Personal Flotation Device (life vest) for your Raft / Canoe tour.
- Most guests bring their cameras, we can’t guarantee that they won’t get wet, but you should get amazing photos.
- We require all guests to sign a release of liability on the rafting/canoe tours.
- Spencer Lake Tour Canoe capacity & Raft Vs. Canoe– 4 person min/10 people max per canoe. We don’t recommend a minimum of 4 guests in the canoe unless you are strong paddlers, and there is no wind on the lake. The guide provides the steering in the back for the canoe, but is unable to provide as much muscle power to get across the lake. Whereas, in a raft a guide will provide the majority of the power to get across the lake. Guests can paddle assist in a raft, which is helpful and encouraged. As one of our guides likes to say during his canoe safety speech, “this is not a Disneyland ride with a magical cable that is going to pull you across the lake to the glacier, it is up to your determination & muscle power.”
- Spencer Lake Distances: The paddle across the lake is approximately 1.25 miles one way. It takes anywhere between 20 Minutes (With Calm Perfect weather) to 1 hour to paddle across the lake in a Canoe. 35 Minutes to Not possible if windy in a Raft.
- There are restrooms on the train, at the Spencer Whistle Stop, and a Forest Service Restroom on the Western Edge of the lake. There are not restrooms once we are on the lake, backcountry options only.
Weather and Trip Adjustments
Water levels, wind, and other natural factors beyond our control may cause us to alter your trip.
Chugach Adventures / AK Railroad Cancellation Policy
Any cancellation made up to 7 days in advance will receive a 50% refund. For cancellations within 48 hours, NO refund will be given. Cancellations made 8 days or more in advance will receive a full refund minus a 5% transaction fee.