This 2 Days of Adventures can start from Anchorage or Girdwood. Transportation is provided in Girdwood for these two days. With guests originating from Anchorage without their own transportation for a return, we can switch Day 1 & Day 2, and get you to Girdwood with the additional price of a one-way train ticket. Or you can extend your 2 day trip to Seward or Whittier with a Railroad day trip that gets you back to Anchorage. Please let us know what you need and we are happy to make it work or point you in the right direction.
Day 1 Itinerary (Originating from Girdwood):
7:30 AM -Chugach Adventures Guide will pick your group at The Hotel Alyeska main lobby for transportation to the Girdwood Train Station, or other Girdwood Accommodation.
8:05 AM – Board the Coastal Classic and depart for Spencer Glacier
9:00 AM – Arrival to Spencer Whistle Stop
9:30 AM – 1:00 PM – Kayak Tour on Spencer Lake and Glacier Trek on Spencer Glacier Morraine.
1:00 PM – 1:30 PM – Lunch
2:00 – 5 PM – Then Board The Glacier Discovery Scenic Train Ride to Grandview thru the Upper Placer River Gorge Canyon–The most scenic portion of the AK Railroad.
5:15 PM- Return on the to Portage Train station for Chugach Adventures transportation back to The Hotel Alyeska
5:45 PM Return to Hotel Alyeska.
Day 2 Itinerary:
8:30 AM – Chugach Adventures Guide will pick your group at The Hotel Alyeska main lobby for transportation to Byron Glacier Trail in Portage Valley, about a half hour drive from The Hotel Alyeska.
9-10:30 AM – Hike Byron Glacier Trail. **Bear & Safety protection, water, & snack provided by Chugach Adventures’.
11:30-1:00 PM – Finish the day with an interpretive guided tour of the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center Visit (AWCC)-This is Alaska’s Premier Wildlife Sanctuary for injured and orphaned big game Alaska animals.
1:30PM- Return to Girdwood via Chugach Adventures shuttle to The Hotel Alyeska.
- Minimum of 2 people to book this tour.
- A catered sack lunch is provided (sandwich, fruit, dessert & bottled water). Veggie or other dietary requests are welcome, please notify us ahead of time.
- Young Children–Minimum age for Kayak is 6 years old. All children will participate in tandem kayaks with a parent or most experienced paddler in your group. We can facilitate this trip for kids younger than 6, utilizing rafts. Please let us know the ages of your kids and we are happy to customize your family outing and make it a go.
- Maximum weight for kayaks is 230 lbs. Maximum height is 6’5″. We can provide a raft lake tour for guests that don’t meet weight & height restrictions and provide a similar tour.
- For Kayaks, we provide splash tops & pogeys. The pogeys are similar to gloves and keep your hands warm & the splash top has neoprene cuffs & acts better than a rain jacket.
- Once at Spencer Lake, we will provide an extensive paddle instruction, safety briefing, and get rigged and ready to launch onto the water.
- The guide(s) will lead the group and determine what is the best trip plan for the kayak trip, to maximize your experience at Spencer Glacier Lake.
- Weather, wind, and group ability will dictate our trip plan. Spencer Lake is approximately 1.5 miles long, by ½ mild wide. Total paddle distance is approximately 3 miles, but can fluctuate (increase or decrease) depending on the groups ambition & ability.
- Bring warm clothes, warm socks, & Layers. We recommend bringing an extra pair of socks for after kayaking.
- Most guests bring their cameras, we can’t guarantee that they won’t get wet, but you should get amazing photos.
- We require all guests to sign a release of liability on all tours.
- There are restrooms on the train and at the Spencer Whistle Stop. There are no restrooms once we are on Spencer Lake, backcountry options only.
- For Hiking, please wear appropriate footwear. Closed toed shoes are highly encouraged.
- Bring warm clothes and layers for the Hike and Alaska Wildlife Center.
Weather and Trip Adjustments
Water levels, wind, and other natural factors beyond our control may cause us to alter your trip. We do not operate kayaks or canoes on whitecap days on the lake for your safety and enjoyment. We have other options with hiking, rafting, and a shortened kayak tour to provide a safe and enjoyable tour alternative under inclement weather. It is up to the guide’s discretion and safety experience to determine what is the most appropriate decision for the day based on any inclement weather.
Chugach Adventures’ Cancellation Policy:
Any cancellation made up to 3-9 days in advance will receive a 50% refund. For cancellations within 48 hours, NO refund will be given. Cancellations made 10 days or more in advance will receive a a full refund minus a 5% transaction fee.
AK RAILROAD Cancellation Policy & Change Fee Information: All paid bookings are subject to a 10% change fee for the Railroad portion of the trip cost, if a date change is requested within 30 days.