Glacier Trek & Iceberg Kayak
2021 Season Dates: May 29 – September 6, 2021. This trip operates at Spencer Glacier via the AK Railroad’s Morning Coastal Classic.
Paddle up to Spencer Glacier via raft/kayak and venture out onto the Glacier Ice for a Glacier Trek exploring moulins, blue pools, crevasses, and more. Access onto Spencer Glacier is always changing. We will explore as much of the glacier as possible and take you onto the ice as access allows. For 2020, we utilized rafts to get onto Spencer Glacier. For 2021, we won’t know our access point until the season starts in May 2021. This is an awesome full-day adventure tour that will incorporate a Spencer Glacier Lake exploration with an amazing glacier trek on the Glacier using ice crampons. This trip is often private per booking party. Guide to Guest Ratio is 4 Guests to 1 Guide. Round trip AK Railroad train tickets included in the cost of this trip.
MINIMUM of 2 Guests required to book this trip. Solo Travelers, please contact our office so that we can let you know if space is available.
This trip is limited to only 8 guests per outing, with a max guide to guest ratio of 1 to 4. This trip is often private per booking party.
Access for 2020 was by raft & so for all trips in 2020 we utilized both kayaks & rafts for each group. This trip is suitable for ages 8 and older. Guests not comfortable paddling kayaks can go in a raft. Rafts are powered by a guide rowing, whereas, kayaks are paddled by guests.
RIDE Both Glacier Discovery & Coastal Classic AK Railroad Trains:
This tour utilizes 2 AK Railroad trains: The Glacier Discovery & Coastal Classic. Ride the Coastal Classic in the Morning to the Spencer Glacier Whistle Stop, and return via the Glacier Discovery Train.
Itinerary: Coastal Classic with Glacier Discovery Return.
* You can begin this trip from either Anchorage or Girdwood. Please let us know where you will be starting so that we can book your train tickets accordingly.
6:45 AM – Coastal Classic departs Anchorage
8:05 AM – Coastal Classic departs Girdwood
9 AM – Arrive at Spencer Glacier Whistle Stop
9:30 AM – 10:30 AM – KAYAK or RAFT Tour on Spencer Lake to the Glacier.
11:30 - 2:00 PM+ – Glacier Trek onto ice at Spencer Glacier, Look for Blue Ice Caves & Explore.
2-4:30 PM - Depending on your group's desires, your guide's discretion & advice, as well as the weather of the day will determine your options below.
#1 - Continue Exploring the Glacier and get more time Exploring on the ice. (MOST COMMON since this tour focuses on seeking out amazing ice features and exploring Spencer Glacier)
#2 - With inclement weather, jump aboard the AK Railroad's Glacier Discovery Train and go to Grandview--the most scenic section of the AK Railroad OR Take a raft 7-miles down the Placer River.
5:15 PM – Arrive in Portage and board motor coach back to Anchorage or Chugach Adventures’ Shuttle back to Girdwood
5:45 PM – Arrival to Girdwood
6:45 PM – Arrival to Anchorage by Motorcoach Bus.
- A catered sack lunch is provided (sandwich, fruit, dessert & bottled water). Veggie or other dietary requests are welcome, please notify us ahead of time.
- We provide splash tops, spray skirts & Personal Flotation Device (life vest) for all kayak tours. Life Vests & rain ponchos if needed for all raft trips.
- We will provide ice crampons or ice cleats for your glacier walk depending on glacier conditions & your footwear, and trekking poles.
- Bring warm clothes & layers, plus warm socks to wear.
- Most guests bring their cameras, we can’t guarantee that they won’t get wet, but you should get amazing photos.
- We require all guests to sign a release of liability on the rafting/canoe/kayak/glacier tours.
- Spencer Lake Distances: 2 miles one way to glacier. It takes anywhere between 20 Minutes (With Calm Perfect weather) to 1+ hour to paddle across the lake.
- Spencer Glacier walk distances: We will tailor the glacier distance dependent on your group's experience and desires and can hike less than .5 miles or up to 3 miles.
- Spencer Lake & Placer River Float: The Placer River Float originating from Spencer Lake to our River Takeout at Luebner Lake is approximately 7 River Miles if you opt to do a scenic rafting trip in the afternoon.
- Maximum weight for kayaks is 240 lbs. Maximum height is 6’5″. We can provide the same tour via raft for guests that don’t meet weight & height restrictions. Please let us know ahead of time if you prefer rafting.
- There are restrooms on the train and at the Spencer Whistle Stop. There are no restrooms once we are on the glacier or river, backcountry options only
Weather and Trip Adjustments
Water levels, wind, and other natural environmental factors beyond our control may cause us to alter your trip. We do not operate kayaks or canoes on whitecap days on the lake for your safety and enjoyment. In this situation (which is very rare in the mornings) we would offer an extended raft tour. We have other options with hiking, rafting, and a shortened kayak tour to provide a safe and enjoyable tour alternative under inclement weather. It is up to the guide’s discretion and safety experience to determine what is the most appropriate decision for the day based on weather.
Cancellation Policy for Day Tour Bookings:
Cancellations made 10 days or more in advance are 95% refundable (there is a 5% non-commissionable cancellation fee that covers credit card processing fees and other charges). Any cancellations made between 3 to 9 days in advance will receive a 50% refund. For cancellations within 48 hours, no refund will be given.
AK RAILROAD Cancellation Policy & Change Fee Information: All paid bookings are subject to a 10% change fee for the Railroad portion of the trip cost, if a date change is requested within 30 days.
Gratuity / Tip
Our guides are expected to go above and beyond for this trip and greatly appreciate any & all gratuities.