Available only on Sunday – Thursday for the Summer of 2020. The trip is NOT AVAILABLE on Fridays & Saturdays.
This trip is often private per booking party and requires a minimum of 2 guests to book. Maximum group size is 12 guests with a guest-to-guide ratio of 1 to 6.
RIDE Both Glacier Discovery & Coastal Classic AK Railroad Trains:
This tour utilizes 2 AK Railroad trains: the Glacier Discovery & Coastal Classic. Ride the Coastal Classic in the Morning to the Spencer Glacier Whistle Stop, and return via the Glacier Discovery Train.
Magical Tour Itinerary: Coastal Classic with Glacier Discovery Return (select dates only see above.)
6:45 AM – Coastal Classic departs Anchorage
8:05 AM – Coastal Classic departs Girdwood
9 AM – Arrive at Spencer Glacier Whistle Stop
9:30 AM – 1:30 PM – KAYAK Tour on Spencer Lake.
2 – 5 PM – RAFTING – 7 Mile River Float Down the Placer River.
5:15 PM – Arrive in Portage and board motor coach back to Anchorage or Chugach Adventures’ Shuttle to Girdwood
5:45 PM – Arrival to Girdwood
6:45 PM – Arrival to Anchorage
- A catered sack lunch is provided (sandwich, fruit, dessert & bottled water). Veggie or other dietary requests are welcome, please notify us ahead of time.
- We provide splash tops, spray skirts & Personal Flotation Device (life vest) for all kayak tours. Life Vests & rain ponchos if needed for all raft trips.
- Bring warm clothes & layers, warm socks to wear.
- Most guests bring their cameras, we can’t guarantee that they won’t get wet, but you should get amazing photos.
- We require all guests to sign a release of liability on the rafting/canoe/kayak tours.
- Spencer Lake Distances: 1.5 miles one way to glacier. It takes anywhere between 20 Minutes (With Calm Perfect weather) to 1 hour to paddle across the lake.
- Spencer Lake & Placer River Float: The Placer River Float originating from Spencer Lake to our River Takeout at Luebner Lake is approximately 7 River Miles.
- Young Children–Minimum age for Kayak is 6 years old. All children will participate in tandem kayaks with a parent or most experienced paddler in your group.
- Maximum weight for kayaks is 230 lbs. Maximum height is 6’5″.
- There are restrooms on the train and at the Spencer Whistle Stop. There are no restrooms once we are on the river, backcountry options only
Weather and Trip Adjustments
Water levels, wind, and other natural factors beyond our control may cause us to alter your trip. We do not operate kayaks or canoes on whitecap days on the lake for your safety and enjoyment. In this situation (which is very rare in the mornings) we would offer an extended raft tour. We have other options with hiking, rafting, and a shortened kayak tour to provide a safe and enjoyable tour alternative under inclement weather. It is up to the guide’s discretion and safety experience to determine what is the most appropriate decision for the day based on weather.
Cancellation Policy for Day Tour Bookings:
Cancellations made 10 days or more in advance are 95% refundable (there is a 5% non-commissionable cancellation fee that covers credit card processing fees and other charges). Any cancellations made between 3 to 9 days in advance will receive a 50% refund. For cancellations within 48 hours, no refund will be given.
AK RAILROAD Cancellation Policy & Change Fee Information: All paid bookings are subject to a 10% change fee for the Railroad portion of the trip cost, if a date change is requested within 30 days.
Gratuity / Tip
Our guides are expected to go above and beyond for this trip and greatly appreciate any & all gratuities.