Board the AK Railroad’s Glacier Discovery Train from Girdwood or Anchorage. Take a brief shuttle to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center for a guided & interpretive tour of the animals. The center is Alaska’s premier rehabilitation facility for injured and orphaned wildlife. Bears – AWCC Tour runs 1.5 hours and includes walking and driving options to view the animals. A sack lunch is provided with this tour.
Once done with the AWCC, our guide will transport you back to board the Glacier Discovery Train where you will continue onto your next adventure at Spencer Glacier—Spencer Iceberg & Placer River Float Tour—Get up close and personal to the ICEBERGS on this mellow float perfect for all ages. Our experienced and professional guides will row you right up to beautiful picturesque icebergs offering stunning panoramic views of the Spencer Glacier and surrounding mountains. Return via the Glacier Discovery TRAIN to Portage Station.
Daily Chugach Adventures & Glacier Discovery Train TIMES & Itinerary:
9:45 AM – Glacier Discovery Train Departs Anchorage
11:00 AM Train Departs Girdwood
11:30 AM Disembark Glacier Discovery Train at Portage 1st Stop for BEARS
11:30 – 1:00 PM Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center Visit (AWCC)- Alaska’s Premier Wildlife Sanctuary for injured and orphaned big game Alaska animals.
1:00 PM Catered Sack Lunch Provided, Return to Portage Station & Original Train Seats.
1:25 PM Train Departs Portage 2nd Stop for Spencer Glacier Whistle Stop
1:45 PM Train Arrives Spencer Glacier Whistle Stop
2- 4:45 PM Spencer Iceberg & Placer River Float – 2 Hours on the Water.
5-5:15 PM Return Via Train to Portage Station
5:30 PM Anchorage & Girdwood Guests Board Motorcoach Bus for Quicker Transportation back to original boarding location.
5:45 PM Motorcoach Arrives Girdwood
6:45 PM Motorcoach Arrives Anchorage
- Perfect Float for ALL AGES. We have had guests as young as 1 and wise guests into their 90’s on this trip.
- Lunch is provided. Please let us know of any dietary requests ahead of time.
- We recommend visiting AWCC for an awesome Combo day tour. If you are on the train from Anchorage or in Girdwood, click on the Add-On above. If you have your own rental vehicle and are boarding in Portage, AWCC is located just 1.5 miles South from the Portage Station and is an easy stopover on your own before boarding the train in Portage at 1:15 PM and heading to Spencer.
- There is a Small Cafe on the Glacier Discovery Train with limited menu options – Sandwiches, Wraps, Pizza – for guests that need lunch. The Cafe is cashless and requires a credit or debit card.
- We provide rubber boots, rain poncho (If it is a rainy day), & Personal Flotation Device (life vest).
- Bring warm clothes & layers, extra socks, a hat & gloves. These are more important in August & September, but nice to have in June & July with AK’s unpredictable weather.
- Most guests bring their cameras, we can’t guarantee that they won’t get wet, but you should get great photos.
- Personal baggage can be left on the train while you go rafting or canoeing. (The AK Railroad & Chugach Adventures can not guarantee the safety of your bags, but in over ten years of operation we have not had any lost or stolen baggage) Space is available for small bags that can either sit on your lap, or get wet, waterproof bags are recommended.
- We require all guests to sign a release of liability on all of our tours.
- Placer River Float is a Class I to II (With High Water), mellow braided river, no big rapids. Most guests will not get splashed with water. If you are concerned about getting splashed request a spot in the raft that is NOT “splashy” when speaking to your guide.
- Raft Loads-Family & Friends are put on the same raft. If you have a request to be with a friend, please let us know on the train. Max capacity is 9 adults in each raft. We most often have 7-8 guests per raft. Please call us up if you want a Private Raft for your family. There is an additional cost for a private raft.
- Young Children–When making a river, kayak, or canoe reservation with the Alaska Railroad they do not allow children under the age of 5. Chugach Adventures can make reservations upon pre-approval. The minimum age is usually about 2 years old. Children must be able to wear a life-vest and comfortably sit for at least 2.5 hours in a raft without jumping around or being out of control. Please call us up to discuss further for children under 2 years old.
- There are restrooms on the train and at the Spencer Whistle Stop. There are no restrooms on the river, backcountry options only.
Chugach Adventures’ Cancellation Policy:
Any cancellation made 3-9 days in advance will receive a 50% refund. For cancellations within 48 hours, NO refund will be given. Cancellations made 10 days or more in advance will receive a full refund minus a 5% transaction fee.
AK RAILROAD Cancellation Policy & Change Fee Information: All paid bookings are subject to a 10% change fee for the Railroad portion of the trip cost, if a date change is requested within 30 days.