This 2 Days of Adventures can start from Anchorage or Girdwood. Transportation is provided in Girdwood for these two days of adventures. With guests originating from Anchorage without their own transportation, a shuttle service or railroad day trip to Whittier or Seward will need to be arranged to get back to Anchorage. Let us know if you need this.
Day 1 Itinerary:
9:45 AM Glacier Discovery Train Departs Anchorage.
11:00 AM Chugach Adventures Guide pick up you in Girdwood
11:30 – 1:00 PM Begin your Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center (AWCC) Interpretive Guided Tour – This is Alaska’s Premier Wildlife Sanctuary for injured and orphaned big game Alaska animals.
1:00 PM Catered Sack Lunch Provided, Return to Portage Station and board The Glacier Discovery Train to Spencer Glacier.
1:25 PM Train Departs Portage 2nd Stop for Spencer Glacier Whistle Stop
1:55 PM Train Arrives Spencer Glacier Whistle Stop
2- 4:45 PM Spencer Iceberg & Placer River Float – 2 Hours on the Water.
5-5:15 PM Return Via Train to Portage Station
5:30 PM Chugach Adventures’ Van Shuttle back to Girdwood.
5:45 PM Arrival to the Hotel Alyeska or other Girdwood Accommodations.
Day 2 Itinerary:
8:00 AM- Meet your guides.
8:30-11:30 AM – Chugach National Forest Hike Options: Crow Creek Gorge, Winner Creek Trail or Byron Glacier Trail. Depending on group ambition & level of activity desired, the weather of the day, and amount of time your group would like to be hiking will be depend on the trail. Chugach Adventures will provide bear safety, water and snack on this tour.
12:00 PM- Return to The Hotel Alyeska by Chugach Adventures Guide.
- Minimum of 2 people to book this tour.
- Perfect for all ages. We can adjust the hiking portion to fit the physical abilities of everyone in the group.
- We require all guests to sign a release of liability on all of our tours.
- Lunch is provided for Day 1. Snack is provided on Day 2. Please let us know of any dietary requests ahead of time.
- Bring warm clothes & layers, extra socks, a hat & gloves. These are more important in August & September, but nice to have in June & July with AK’s unpredictable weather.
- Most guests bring their cameras, we can’t guarantee that they won’t get wet, but you should get great photos.
- We provide rubber boots, rain poncho (If it is a rainy day), & Personal Flotation Device (life vest).
- There are restrooms on the train and at the Spencer Whistle Stop. There are no restrooms on the river or during the hiking portion of your adventure, backcountry options only.
- Placer River Float is a Class I to II (With High Water), mellow braided river, no big rapids. Most guests will not get splashed with water. If you are concerned about getting splashed request a spot in the raft that is NOT “splashy” when speaking to your guide.
- Personal baggage can be left on the train while you go rafting or canoeing. (The AK Railroad & Chugach Adventures can not guarantee the safety of your bags, but in over ten years of operation we have not had any lost or stolen baggage) Space is available for small bags that can either sit on your lap, or get wet, waterproof bags are recommended.
Chugach Adventures’ Cancellation Policy:
Any cancellation made 3-9 days in advance will receive a 50% refund. For cancellations within 48 hours, NO refund will be given. Cancellations made 10 days or more in advance will receive a full refund minus a 5% transaction fee.
AK RAILROAD Cancellation Policy & Change Fee Information: All paid bookings are subject to a 10% change fee for the Railroad portion of the trip cost, if a date change is requested within 30 days.
Gratuity / Tip
Our guides are expected to go above and beyond for this trip and greatly appreciate any & all gratuities.